If you want to accomplish anything in this life with meaning, you have to have goals. Athletes are going for championships, fortune 500 companies are trying to raise their stock prices and You Inc needs to rise it’s own stock! In order for you to be your best grown up self it’s important not only to set goals, but to know how to do it. These 15 steps are a pretty good guide.
1) Define your goals clearly in writing. Writing down your goals increases the likelihood of achieving your chosen goals by a very large percent. It increases your sense of commitment, clarifies required steps in the achievement process, and helps you remember important details. Also, there is a lot of research and documentation about this working!
2) Identify and focus on the benefits to you as well as others of achieving your goals. Why are you doing this? Is it for personal gain (btw, that’s 100% ok, don’t be afraid to be selfish)? Is it for your family, vacations, your dog?! Know why you’re doing what you’re doing and that’ll be a contributor to your motivation.
3) Define the purpose of your goals. Link your goals to a practical, specific purpose. To boost your own motivation, base your goals on inspiration, not just on simple logic.
4) Identify your supportive forces. Examples of supportive forces include mentors, books, your social network, skilled coaches or mentors , and podcasts. Surround yourself with a support system. You can get brought down or built up, go with the build! Your network will become your net worth.
5) Develop an action plan, set deadlines and act. Establish sub goals. Divide each main goal into logical progressive steps. Set deadlines for completing each step, and complete the steps on time.
6) Establish priorities. Take action in order of priority. Do this as a list. Seriously, Humans love lists. Why do you think we love buzzed so much?!?!
7) Make a public commitment. Post your goals on social media so you’re accountable for your goals and actions. When I wanted to run my first marathon, I posted my intention on Facebook and you bet your bottom dollar I did it!
8) Be realistic about limitations. Do not set a short term goal to get a job requiring long term actions. Goals should be measurable, they should push your limits, but they should ultimately be achievable.
9) Use positive self talk and affirmation statements. Do this each and every day. As often as humanly possible. Do them compulsively and make it like prayer, make your self talk like religion and believe it! Write down your statements and post them prominently in your bedroom, on your fridge and so that you can see them in the mirror in your car.
10) Use positive visualization. This is real. There are a lot of elements of sports psychology that could be argued, but visualization is something no one argues about!
11) Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice new skills regularly. Get additional information, training, coaching and feedback on your progress. Read books, listen to podcasts and ask questions. GROW!
12) Evaluate and revise goals as necessary. Evaluate your ongoing progress. Be fluid and have an open mind. Also most importantly remember to be patient. This is the hardest part. We want it now!
13) Persevere. Stay the course until you succeed, Colonel Sanders didn’t form KFC until he was 62!
14) Reward Yourself as you accomplish milestones. If you make a dollar amount that you are reaching for, buy something awesome! If you are on a diet, give yourself cheat days. If you are working out, give yourself an off day.
15) Record progress on your goals. As simplistic as it seems, al long series of check marks on a calendar or a wall chart may actually, motivate you by providing a vital sense of accomplishment. Do not let missing an occasional daily goal deter you, however. Keep focusing on your ultimate chosen goals.
Ultimately, goal setting is the business plan for the Grown Up You! You want to be the best version of you and you need to have some goals to succeed. It’s how we’ve put the content together for this site, we had a goal to put it together and started creating and executing! Nothing happens without work and purpose. Now go get it grown up!